Recipe from my Nana and the Better Homes and Gardens New cookbook (1960s edition). Makes 4-6 dozen cookies.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce melted chocolate
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Hot milk
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet.
- Mix until combined.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- Wrap one ball and put in refrigerator to chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Melt chocolate.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly pour melted chocolate into the dough.
- Wrap chocolate ball and put in refrigerator to chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Roll out each ball into a 10×12 inch rectangle.
- Heat 1/3 cup milk.
- Brush hot milk onto chocolate rectangle.
- Place plain rectangle on top.
- Roll jelly-roll style
- Cut off ends of roll.
- Cut 4-6 dozen cookies, about 1/3 inch in thickness.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes